Food recipes

Sunday, October 8, 2017

American Revolutionary War Reenactment, Battle of Dollinger Farm 1776


Located in Channahon Illinois, Dollinger Farms holds an American Revolution Battle reenactment every year. Dollinger Farms were occupied by the British in 1776 andthe Continental Forces (the Americans) won a battle there. Many volunteers from Illinois and surroundings states participate in this reenactment. The volunteers dressed accordingly, the military uniforms and civil cloth are from different years, but definitively from that era. I had the chance to sketch and talk with some of them before the battle performance.They were very cooperative and patience and also were pleased to pose for me.

Rick (above), plays a private in the 84th of Foot Scottish Highland Regiment, I didn't get to talk to him since he was having a conversation with visitors where he was sharing very interesting information.   

Zack, plays a Militia loyalist for the British. This style was used from the 1760's to 1790's. He looks a little puffy but that's how the custom is. The short attached cape was used to cover the head during the inclement weather.

Bryn plays a camp follower Irish woman of the Worthington Company, the Continental Forces (the Americans). These women were in the camping ground to cook, to heal, to repair cloth, etc. She allowed me to sketch the undergarments these women used to wear, including the pockets (as a belt) and the bum pad for her skirts, all cotton and linen. No shoes, it was a common practice to be barefoot. 
She was bringing the components of her outfit out of her tent. These actors actually sleep in tents during the weekends they perform. They try to stay true to the ways of the American Revolution. Some prefer to have some comforts for safety, like using a cooler to prevent their food from spoiling. 

Finally I run into Ken, from Garfield, IL. He was fixing a cartridge box fro his friend. He plays a marine. Yes a marine. He told me the Continental forces brought the canyons of ships to the battle and they brought the marines with them because they were the only ones who knew how to use them. While sketching he mentioned I was like a reporter from that time, so true! There were no cameras, just sketches and drawings! He made me feel like I belonged there! 

I spoke with other actors dressed as civilians that I didn't sketch. I asked them why do they do this. One told me it was like a 3D experience of American History and the other one, former professional photographer, told me that participating in this events motivates him to continue learning about history. 

I had an incredible afternoon, I was fascinated by the commitment of these people to share their passion for history. If you want to attend another battle and get to talk to these interesting people click Civil War Reenacting

No comments:

Post a Comment